[ejabberd] Migration from 2.0.x to 2.1.x

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Tue Aug 17 23:28:34 MSD 2010

I would like to upgrade from ejabberd version 2.0.3 to 2.1.5. My question is how to migrate data from a mysql backend. My thoughts were to create a new database using the src/odbc/mysql.sql , then do a backup of the production db and restore to the newly created db. This does not work according to my dbadmin. He says that the column created_at is causing problems.

I reviewed
http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/guide_en,
https://support.process-one.net/doc/display/MESSENGER/Using+ejabberd+with+MySQL+native+driver,
and the package docs(doc/*2.1.0.txt)

http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/guide_en hints that mysql.sql in the source distribution should help with upgrades:

Moreover, the file mysql.sql in the directory src/odbc might be interesting for you. This file contains the ejabberd schema for MySQL. At the end of the file you can find information to update your database schema.

I reviewed the file and do see some ALTER TABLE statements, but none mention the created_at column.

I think tomorrow I'll try to:

1) Backup production db
2) Restore production to a test db
3) Try to identify what tables have changed and what the alter table commands should look like.

Is there a resource for #3?

Thanks,
Jonathan