[ejabberd] Transient TCP error

Spencer Cheng scheng at morphbius.com
Wed Dec 1 20:49:56 MSK 2010

I've managed to solve my earlier problems with xmpp messages being lost and connection being dropped. Some of the problem was related to pure message volume which I have reduced.

My next problem is that I am getting occasional transient errors in setting up TCP connections. This is causing 404 error to be returned to xmpp client. The logs looks like this.

> =INFO REPORT==== 2010-12-01 23:11:28 ===
> D(<0.414.0>:ejabberd_s2s_out:268) : s2s_out: connecting to {10,10,168,63}:5269
>

> =INFO REPORT==== 2010-12-01 23:11:28 ===
> D(<0.414.0>:ejabberd_socket:172) : Error in gen_tcp:send: {error,closed}
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 2010-12-01 23:11:28 ===
> D(<0.414.0>:ejabberd_s2s_out:861) : terminated: {normal,open_socket}

Ejabberd succeeds in subsequent TCP connection requests to the same remote ejabberd server. There are no logs on the remote server to indicate whether an TCP connection attempt has even being attempted around that timestamp.

I've looked through all the relevant logs in /var/log but there is nothing to indicate any sort of network error.

Does anyone has any suggestions as to how to debug this further? I am trying to determine if this is a H/W or S/W problem. I set the log level to 5. Is there a higher level?

Ejabberd version - 2.1.5.
Ubuntu server 10.04.1 LTS

Regards,
Spencer Cheng