[ejabberd] ejabberdctl.template patches

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:23:41 MSK 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:
> You have summarized the patches and their main drawbacks in
> https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-1153

thanks - so on that side we're in agreement I guess...

> But there is still another metric you forgot when evaluating the
> different patches: the new requirements they introduce.

Good point. On Fedora and other modern linuxen, those are in the base
system.I didn't know ejabberdctl did work on Windows.

In fact I don't know what kind of env it execs under in Windows. Cywin? MinGW?

> Martin Langhoff's patch requires:
>  * flock
>  * arithmetic expressions in the shell: are those supported by POSIX?

Can we do these in erlang -- or are we helpless until we connect to
the node? Otherwise I am sure we can work around it - my use of
expressions is prob not POSIXy but we can fix it. And all modern
unices have some kind of flock script...

>  * runuser
>  * bash

Not needed with careful coding.

>  * /var/lock/ejabberd creation: who takes care to create it?

The install script - trivial to fix.

> Let's assume the patch works correctly when all the requirements are satisfied.
> Does the benefit provided by the patch pay the additional requirements?
> In your case it does, but does it also for general ejabberd deployments?

I think the fix is needed, of course we need to figure out how to do
it with min impact on req's.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions