[ejabberd] How ejabberd handles offline messages

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 7 04:19:51 MSK 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:45:09PM +0530, Tharindu Madushanka wrote:

> I would like to know how I could get messages sent to jabber users while
> they were offline from a client.. the specification.. I have ejabberd
> installed.. will ejabberd sends offline messages to a jabber client as soon
> as he comes online.. or do I need to implement some request at client side..
ejabberd will just send the messages to the client when it's online.
The messages generated will contain one special timestamp attribute
so that the client knows the moment each message was received
by the server. See http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0160.html

Also there's XEP-0013 which specified a way for the clients to
handle offline messages retrieval in a more flexible manner,
but I think it's not implemented in ejabberd.