[ejabberd] getting emfile errors

Mark Keisler grimm26 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:06:55 MSK 2010

Linux.  I stated that I did increase the max number of open files to 16384.
% tail -2 /etc/security/limits.conf
jabber  soft    nofile  16384
jabber  hard    nofile  16384

And sysctl shows:
fs.file-max = 787722

The system isn't coming close to that.  And, like I said, lsof shows just
over 1000 filehandles open by jabber when ejabberd starts erroring.

--
Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Brian Acton <acton at whatsapp.com> wrote:

> BSD or Linux?...You need to raise the number of maximum open files. This is
> usually a combination of sysctl, ulimit, /etc/security/limits.conf etc
>
> --b
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Mark Keisler <mark at mitsein.net> wrote:
>
>> Oops, forgot to put erlang version: R13B02
>>

>> --
>> Mark
>> "Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
>> always be happy."
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Mark Keisler <mark at mitsein.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running ejabberd 2.1.1 with erlang
>>> At first, I could only get very few concurrent users connected.  Now I
>>> have set ERL_MAX_PORTS=8192 and max open file ulimit to 16384 for my jabber
>>> user that runs ejabberd.  I can only get 983 users connectedm then it starts
>>> throwing:
>>> I(<0.463.0>:ejabberd_listener:241) : (#Port<0.7155>) Failed TCP accept: