[ejabberd] parallelized external authentication

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 29 19:06:42 MSD 2010

On 07/29/2010 06:27 AM, Andy Skelton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Jesse Thompson
> <jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu>  wrote:
>> I implemented a patch for extauth.erl so that it is capable of spawning
>> multiple scripts for any given domain.
>
> I never really liked the extauth module so I wrote my own:
> http://github.com/skeltoac/ejabberd_auth_wordpress
>
> This uses php_app to run the WordPress auth functions directly:
> http://github.com/skeltoac/php_app
>
> With php_app I can configure the number of running PHP workers. So the
> auth module stays nice and simple.
>
> I'd think it pretty cool if you forked php_app for perl scripts. :)

It looks like all you're doing is defining the command to run, so why
wouldn't it work with perl (or anything else) the way it is?  Perhaps
all you would need to do is remove references to php and wordpress.

I haven't looked at your code in depth (I'm still not very well versed
in erlang,) but I'm assuming that you are saying that your module is
calling the external script differently than extauth does.  Wouldn't it
be better to have an external auth module that supports existing extauth
scripts?  I'm sure that there are many ejabberd operators who would
appreciate the benefit of parallelized external authentication without
the requirement of having to rewrite their scripts.

Jesse