[ejabberd] Creating bot that can create nodes on the fly and publish data using pubsub

kael ka-el at laposte.net
Tue May 11 21:14:57 MSD 2010

On 05/08/2010 01:07 AM, shahzad bhatti wrote:
> I am trying to create a quote server using Ejabberd and pubsub. I would
> like the clients to subscribe to a symbol, which would be mapped to the
> node. On the server side, I would like a way to create nodes for the
> symbol (if they don't already exist) be created automatically but
> securely. Basically, I would like to create a bot that detects there is
> a subscriber for a symbol and automatically create node (if doesn't
> exist) and start publishing quote data for the subscribers. And when
> there are no subscribers, I would like the bot to stop sending the data.

It is possible for node owners to be notified when a user subscribes and
unsubscribes by setting the 'pubsub#notify_sub' = 'true' node option.

It is not currently implemented in ejabberd 2.1.3 so I wrote a patch
<https://support.process-one.net/secure/attachment/16573/EJAB_1230_mod_pubsub_213.patch>.

With exmpp, you'd have to use
exmpp_client_pubsub:create_and_configure_node/3 or
exmpp_client_pubsub:set_node_configuration/3 to set that option with an
#xmlel{name = 'x', ns = ?NS_DATA_FORMS} containing the corresponding field.

Regarding the possibility of creating a node based on subscriptions, it
is not possible. The node has to exist beforehand to handle
subscriptions, otherwise the server replies with an error message.

--
kael