[ejabberd] I need help installing ejabberd in debian lenny

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 19 21:45:54 MSD 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 01:02:54PM -0400, Yoslán wrote:

> aptitude install ejabberd
> Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
> Creando árbol de dependencias
> Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
> Leyendo la información de estado extendido
> Inicializando el estado de los paquetes... Hecho
> Leyendo las descripciones de las tareas... Hecho
> Se instalarán los siguiente paquetes NUEVOS:
>   ejabberd
> 0 paquetes actualizados, 1 nuevos instalados, 0 para eliminar y 0
> sin actualizar.
> Necesito descargar 0B/1196kB de ficheros. Después de desempaquetar
> se usarán 3383kB.
> Escribiendo información de estado extendido... Hecho
> Preconfigurando paquetes ...
> Seleccionando el paquete ejabberd previamente no seleccionado.
> (Leyendo la base de datos ...
> 27346 ficheros y directorios instalados actualmente.)
> Desempaquetando ejabberd (de .../ejabberd_2.0.1-6+lenny2_amd64.deb) ...
> Procesando disparadores para man-db ...
> Configurando ejabberd (2.0.1-6+lenny2) ...
> Starting
> ejabberd............................................................
> failed.

Please post it to Debian bug tracker and attach the outputs of
$ cat /etc/hosts
$ /sbin/ifconfig
$ hostname
$ hostname --fqdn
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
$ ps ax|grep beam
(after such unsuccessful attempt to start).

Also:

Check out you do not have tight firewall rules on this host which
prevent connecting to the IP address your hostname resolves to.

If this is a first install? That is, do you have a (modified)
configuration file (/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg) in place when installing?

When ejabberd fails so start, do you have /var/lib/erl_crash.dump?

What's in the log files (/var/log/ejabberd/*.log)?

Otherwise we can't do anything but plain guessing as certainly ejabberd
works in Lenny in "normal" conditions (otherwise we'd have lots of RC
bugs for it).

P.S.
It's better to select English locale when recording actions of some code
which writes to stdout, for instance,
# LC_MESSAGES=en_US aptitude install ejabberd
as people here are not assumed to be fluent in Spanish.
Well, in our case it does not complicate things in any way, but still.