[ejabberd] Shared Rosters and presence

Theo Cushion theo at jivatechnology.com
Wed Sep 22 14:01:00 MSD 2010

I have setup 2 shared rosters as follows using the web interface in
ejabberd:

name: everybody
members: @all@
displayed groups: admins

name: admins
members: a at foo.com
                    b at foo.com
                    c at foo.com
displayed groups: -empty-

Now when I login in as a, b, or c they can all see each others
presence. However logging in as anyone else I get sent the roster
"admins", but do not received the presence of a, b or c.

The roster that I receive whether I login as a normal user or an admin
is the same, with the subscription attribute set to 'both'. Surely
this means that I should receive the presence of everyone on the
roster no matter what type of user I am.

Is this a bug, or have I just misunderstood http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#roster
  ?

Thanks

Theo