[ejabberd] Shared Rosters and presence

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:16:15 MSD 2010

2010/9/22 Theo Cushion <theo at jivatechnology.com>:
> I have setup 2 shared rosters as follows using the web interface in
> ejabberd:
> name: everybody
> members: @all@
> displayed groups: admins
> name: admins
> members: a at foo.com
>                    b at foo.com
>                    c at foo.com
> displayed groups: -empty-
> Now when I login in as a, b, or c they can all see each others presence.
> However logging in as anyone else I get sent the roster "admins", but do not
> received the presence of a, b or c.
> The roster that I receive whether I login as a normal user or an admin is
> the same, with the subscription attribute set to 'both'. Surely this means
> that I should receive the presence of everyone on the roster no matter what
> type of user I am.
> Is this a bug, or have I just
> misunderstood http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#roster ?

You forgot
http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#rfc.section.5.1.2

> the user's server MUST broadcast the full XML of that presence stanza
> to all contacts (1) that are in the user's roster
> with a subscription type of "from" or "both"

If I understood correctly,
A has B in his roster with subscription=both,
so their presences are delivered to each other.
However, A doesn't have M in his roster.
Do you want ejabberd to leak the presence of A to M?
That isn't implemented in mod_shared_roster.
And, BTW, goes against the RFC.

This is also mentioned in
See http://www.ejabberd.im/shared-roster-all#example3

---