[ejabberd] Amazon load balancer and ejabberd, problematic?

Armando Di Cianno armando.dicianno at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:45:53 MSD 2011

> My question isn't about the JVM stuff (quite yet) but about whether or not
> there's something odd about the behavior of running XMPP through a load
> balancer (Amazon's ELB, specifically) that can occasionally break things in
> a way that's not really normal for XMPP streams.
> Any wisdom out there?

I've had various levels of luck with ejabberd and load balancers; I
have not used ELB.

Most load balancers worked just fine, with differences in performance.
I had some issues with HAProxy 1.13.x (haven't tried 1.14.x), where no
amount of configuration of timeouts (client->haproxy, haproxy->server,
or full client->server) seemed to allow the connection to remain up
reliably. You may be having a similar situation -- while the balancer
supports generic TCP connections, it may be inherently for or
tuned-for mostly short lived HTTP connections.

__armando