[ejabberd] Strange MUC behavior

Daniel Dormont dan at greywallsoftware.com
Wed Apr 13 22:19:07 MSD 2011

I've been looking into this recently and can summarize with this statement: indvidual MUC rooms are not clustered. If the room is not pre-configured as persistent, it will live on the node of whichever user creates it. If that node is shut down cleanly, the room is destroyed and other users in the room will get a message to that effect. If that node is shut down uncleanly, the other node will remove the MUC from the database, but it will not know who the participants of that MUC were. So User2 will not be automatically notified. If User2 tries to send messages *after* User1 has already recreated the MUC they will fail because User2 is not an occupant of the (recreated) MUC.

The only solution I know of is to have User2 rejoin, but I'm interested in others' inputs also.

dan