[ejabberd] problems with ejabberd on a debian lenny system.

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 15 17:25:44 MSD 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:07:10 +0200
Mauro <mrsanna1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've two server.
> One is a normal host with a debian lenny lunux distribution, the other
> is a xen virtual machine also wirh debian lenny.
> The hostname is proxy1 for both, but they have different ip.
> On the first system ejabberd is started without problems while in the
> second machine it fails to start.
> Perhaps the problem may be that I'm using the same hostname for both
> machines?
Do a clean start of ejabberd on the host where it's failing and attach
the relevant bit of ejabberd logs.
To do this:
1) Ensure no erlang processes are running (`pgrep beam` and kill them,
   if any), also run
   # epmd -kill
   just in case (this is the Erlang port-mapping daemon).
2) Delete ejabberd logs (under /var/log/ejabberd).
3) Start it using
   # invoke-rc.d ejabberd start
   or
   # /etc/init.d/ejabberd start

If it fails, check this:
1) Do you have a beam or beam.smp process running?
   If yes, attach the output of
   $ ps ax | grep beam
2) In any case, attach the logs created in /var/log/ejabberd

Otherwise dealing with your problem would be plain guessing.