[ejabberd] client not able to login

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 19 19:20:52 MSD 2011

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:31:20 +0530
Manoj Philip <manoj.philip at pipalresearch.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have successfully integrated AD with ejabberd. I am able to view
> all the users having mail configured (Exchange integrated) on AD in
> the web admin interface with administrator as admin user. But I have
> some problem :
> 1. I am not able to login to chat client (jwchat,ijab,spark,pidgin)
> not with administrator login nor with user login.
>
> Please help me to login to chat client....
[...]
The fact you're able to log into the web interface suggests that the
authentication against LDAP is working OK.  So most probably you have a
problem with client software settings.  Enabling authentication against
LDAP means that ejabberd does two things:
1) It forces the usage of the SASL PLAIN mechanism when performing the
   authentication step;
2) It requires TLS to be successfully established before the
   authentication takes place.
So, check out that your clients support TLS and allow usage of the
SASL PLAIN mech.

When debugging, try to log in using a client which supports "XML
console" (a way to display XML traffic between the client and the
server) or XML logging; this console/logging should be enabled before
attempts to log in are made.  If you will be unable to figure out what
happens, provide us with this XML dump.  To my knowledge, Tkabber
supports XML console and Gajim supports detailed logging to a file;
don't know about others.