[ejabberd] another mod_muc question: duplicate nicks from same user

Armando Di Cianno armando.dicianno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 00:46:07 MSD 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Dormont
<dan at greywallsoftware.com> wrote:

If it permits it by config, I do not know. However, I wanted to chime in.

You've touched upon a /really/ interesting misfeature in the MUC XEP,
imho. I recently had to battle solving a client's requirement to
correctly handle quick disconnects and reconnects. If the server
notices the client disconnect, it'll disconnect the "old" client
session (normally, or via mod_ping), however, the user may have
already reconnected. A misinformed client program will happily get the
"unavailable" stanza from the server, and think that it's its own, as
the client is processing the message as if it received it with the
bare jid, not including the resource.

>From my tests, ejabberd on the server side, and libpurple/pidgin and
adium are okay. I'd bet a few dollars that every other client or
library in the world is doing it wrong.

So, just that caveat: beware of relying on any behavior in this realm
all too much ... at least not without a lot of further testing.

__armando