[ejabberd] ejabberd Digest, Vol 97, Issue 4

David Banes dbanes at cleartext.com
Wed Aug 3 12:06:35 MSD 2011

On 03/08/2011, at 9:00 AM, ejabberd-request at jabber.ru wrote:

> 03.08.2011 00:41, Henri Gourvest wrote:
>> but I am not sure limiting bandwidth by default is a good idea.
>
> The idea is to prevent your server from being screwed up, a sort of
> simple DoS protection.

I've got experience running high traffic messaging platforms and I can validate that traffic shaping is an essential part of the mix otherwise as your traffic increases you will get a failure due to excessive load.

This in turn will put additional load on other nodes in a cluster which could cause a domino effect and leave your customers without service.

This is why we run shaping on our email and IM services and to be safe only run each node to 30% capacity before adding nodes to a cluster.

David.

David Banes

http://about.me/davidbanes
xmpp: dbanes at cleartext.com