[ejabberd] Anonymous login rejected

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 19 14:52:11 MSK 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:59:05 +0530
Perl Whore <whoreperl at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> >> I followed the instructions here -
> >> https://support.process-one.net/doc/display/MESSENGER/Anonymous%2Busers%2Bsupport
> >> but anonymous logins are rejected by the server. In Pidgin, I get
> >> the error: SASL error: SASL(-10): server failed mutual
> >> authentication step: DIGEST-MD5: This server wants us to believe
> >> that he knows shared secret
> > Find out how to enable "XML logging" or "XML console" in Pidgin and
> > then attempt to connect with that log/console open to see which auth
> > mechanisms your server offers.
> > Otherwise too much guessing is required about what happens here.
[...]
> The debug log for Pidgin is attached.

In the [1], see example "3. Server advertises stream features." in the
section "SASL anonymous".
Clearly, in the log file you provided the server only presents PLAIN and
DIGEST-MD5 SASL mechanisms. That is, anonymous authentication mode is
not available, at least when the SASL authentication is used (which is
the standard one for XMPP).

1.
https://support.process-one.net/doc/display/MESSENGER/Anonymous%2Busers%2Bsupport