[ejabberd] Is it possible for anonymous users to have temporary rosters?

blackcode at speedpost.net blackcode at speedpost.net
Tue Jan 25 09:27:38 MSK 2011

--

  blackcode at speedpost.net

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:57 +0100, "Badlop" <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/22  <blackcode at speedpost.net>:
> > I've setup ejabberd with two hosts. One host is used by staff, and the
> > other one is used for guests (anonymous users). All the staff users have
> > each other in their roster.
> >
> > What I'm trying to do now is to set it up such that when an anonymous
> > user logs in, he has one random online staff user in his roster. Is this
> > currently possible using any existing modules or
>
> Such a specialized behavior is not implemented in ejabberd,
> and I am not aware of any existing module that implements it.
>

> > will I have to write a custom one?
>
> Right.
>

> > If I do have to write a custom one, is it gonna be too much work? I
> > don't know anything about Erlang or even the XMPP protocol for that
> > matter but I usually don't have much problem in picking up a new
> > language.
>
> I perceive that question as a
> http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-365352-trap.php
>
> By reading the next line, you implicitly agree to not expect more
> replies from me.
>
> Developing that module would require some work: not impossible, but
> not trivial either.
>

> ---
> Badlop
> ProcessOne

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it. I just need the website
visitor to be able to message a random online user. I suppose they don't
really need to be in each other's roster. Another way that I was
thinking of accomplishing this is using mod_xmlrpc, and then using a php
or perl script on the server to pick one online user on random and then
make it message a random online user. Is this a better route to take?