[ejabberd] need help on ejabberd's implementation of clustering

MOHSIN mohsin3000 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:39:50 MSK 2011

Xi Liu <jason.liuxi <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi badlopThank you very much for your reply.According to my understanding can
I describe the clustered ejabberd working picture like this?
> Use cicso slb or whatever any other load balance facilities to distribute the
users and average the load. From the user side, he only knows he was connected
to something like test.org, but actually he was distributed to the machine
192.168.0.20 which is one of  the test.org's  cluster's node. and when two
friends connected to different nodes of one xmpp server. Their chat will act
like this: client1 <at> test.org sended a message to client2 <at> test.org. the
node client1 connected to try to find which node client2 was connected to and
tell the corresponding process to forward the message to client2 . And the whole
procedure was based on mnesia's cluster. Is this right?

> And there is another question.about the guide. According to the guide ejabberd
got one service load balancing mechnism.(http://www.process-
one.net/en/ejabberd/guide_en#servicelb)

> ejabberd includes an algorithm to load balance the components that are plugged
on an ejabberd cluster. It means that you can plug one or several instances of
the same component on each ejabberd cluster and that the traffic will be
automatically distributed.

> The default distribution algorithm try to deliver to a local instance of a
component. If several local instances are available, one instance is chosen
randomly. If no instance is available locally, one instance is chosen randomly
among the remote component instances.

> what is this slb aiming at? and what is a componet?Is it a  module such as
mod_muc ?
> and yet another question, Is muc service also distibuted to nodes? I mean the
way muc rooms distributed is random?
> Sorry for so many stupid questions and Thanks in advance!
>

> 2010/3/12 Badlop <badlop <at> gmail.com>
> 2010/3/10 Xi Liu <jason.liuxi <at> gmail.com>:
>
> > And I will appreciate very much if some body could give me a
> > brief introduction on the clustering mechanism.
> You setup Mnesia in a way that the ejabberd nodes share the content of
> some tables.
> Tell clients to connect to different nodes, depending on your needs
> (server load, round-robin, ...). ejabberd doesn't decide to spread
> users or . Users themselves connect to a specific node.
> Related tutorial:
> # Clustering ejabberd nodes using mnesia
databasehttp://tdewolf.blogspot.com/2009/07/clustering-ejabberd-nodes-using-
mnesia.html

 http://www.planeta.toliman.pl/2006/04/ejabberd-i-cisco-slb.html