[ejabberd] multiple authentication methods: order and priority of operation

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 23:29:45 MSD 2011

2011/7/11 Daniel Dormont <dan at greywallsoftware.com>:
> Suppose I have this in my configuration:
>
> {auth_method, [internal, external]}.
>
> Does this mean if a user attempts a login, it tries internal first and then
> external only if internal returns that the user is nonexistent?

Auth tries internal first. If that doesn't accept the auth for any
reason, then tries external.

> Or if I use ejabberctl register, will it try to register with both internal
> and external and only succeed if both operations succeed?

No.

Register tries internal first. If that doesn't return with success
registration, then tries external.

> Basically my requirement is that I need to support some sort of alternative
> authentication mechanism for my internal purposes (specifically, I need a
> scenario in which a user might have more than one valid password at a time,
> but each password expires in a certain time and/or may only be used a
> certain number of times) but I'd still like to have a few users registered
> through the traditional auth_internal.

It will probably work, but better you write a minimal external script
and try yourself.

----
Badlop
ProcessOne