[ejabberd] non-XMPP account creation?

Keith Irwin keith.irwin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:30:12 MSD 2011

Shaun--

I'm not using a database on the web side, nor to the XMPP accounts need to
map to any real human beings. I suppose I could insert something directly
into whatever ejabberd is using (mnesia?), but I was hoping to avoid that.

I have potentially many thousands of devices I want to connect via XMPP, but
I don't want anyone else EXCEPT those devices to register an account. So, if
the devices can hit a web site (say) with the proper credentials and provide
me with a randomly generated user/pass, I can create an account for them. It
ain't perfect, but it's better than having the jabber server open to all.

I could also write a "registration" plugin which has some extra non-standard
stuff in it, but I like the web request better because it doesn't require
any additional tools or customized libraries.

Mainly I'm just looking for stories to meet any possible objection to using
XMPP. It's an easy technology to defend, it turns out.

Keith