[ejabberd] non-XMPP account creation?

Eric Chamberlain eric at ringfree.com
Fri Jul 15 00:29:41 MSD 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Keith Irwin wrote:

> Is there a way a particular client (say, my-admin at my.jabber.server) can create new accounts for other clients?
>
> The basic use case is that I want a web site of some sort where clients have to sign up rather than use the XMPP built-in registration. However, I'd rather not have to execute a command line on the actual ejabberd server itself.
>
> Any general pointers?

We had a similar need.  We ended up writing an authentication module for django (our web framework) that uses the ejabberd xmlrpc module to create new user accounts and authenticate users that access the web site.

We chose xmlrpc over using XMPP in-band registration, because the implementation (existing xmlrpc python libraries are easy to use) and overhead was less than opening an xmpp session for in-band registration.