[ejabberd] Limiting message flood on joining a chatroom

Srirang Doddihal om.brahmana at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 00:58:56 MSK 2011

Hi,

I recently installed ejabberd (for the first time) on Ubuntu 10.04 and
set it up as a simple chat server. It's working mostly fine except for
one issue related to multi-user chatrooms.

When a user joins a chatroom, a flood of messages previously sent by
other users in the chatroom are being sent. As a result the user is
bombarded with a huge list at join time. How can I limit the number of
ideally want it to me something like 10 messages. I have not been able
to find any configuration element controlling this. The regular MUC
chat and one-to-one chat between users is working absolutely fine.
Only this initial flood needs to be controlled.

Any help in configuring this appropriately is greatly appreciated.

Here is my setup :

I am using the strophe.js library to talk to ejabberd server from my
web front-end (via http-bind). There is an nginx web server sitting
between the client and ejabberd which just proxies the requests.

P.S : I am new to XMPP and ejabberd.

--
Regards,
Srirang G Doddihal