[ejabberd] Ejabberd Memory Consumption (SSL & Compression)

William Key williamkey at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 06:16:42 MSK 2011

Hello all,

I noticed Erlang was reporting very low memory usage while the OS was
showing it was 2-3x that. When looking through the patch notes I noticed a
few changes which allow Erlang to report the memory usage by the C modules.
After upgrading from Ejabberd 2.1.2 to Ejabberd 2.1.6 Erlang was reporting
the memory usage correctly. Suddenly the system allocation became extremely
high. We upgraded from R13-B3 to R14-B1 and noticed a the memory drop down
to around 450kb per connection which still seems really high. It seems to be
the C modules using up a lot of memory. The server is using old-style SSL
(port 5223) and compression for all connections which would add more
overhead. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,
William