[ejabberd] Ejabberd Memory Consumption (SSL & Compression)

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:25:28 MSK 2011

05.03.2011 12:16, William Key wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I noticed Erlang was reporting very low memory usage while the OS was
> showing it was 2-3x that. When looking through the patch notes I noticed a
> few changes which allow Erlang to report the memory usage by the C modules.
> After upgrading from Ejabberd 2.1.2 to Ejabberd 2.1.6 Erlang was reporting
> the memory usage correctly. Suddenly the system allocation became extremely
> high. We upgraded from R13-B3 to R14-B1 and noticed a the memory drop down
> to around 450kb per connection which still seems really high. It seems to be
> the C modules using up a lot of memory. The server is using old-style SSL
> (port 5223) and compression for all connections which would add more
> overhead. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

This is a well-known problem. We have no idea how to make openssl eat
less memory. We did a lot of things, but mostly with no effect.
Recently, some improvements have been done in TLS code, but it requires
openssl 1.0.x and later. What version of openssl are you using?

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.