[ejabberd] Changing hostname on Debian with 2.1.5 (was: Debian Migration from 2.0.1 to 2.1.5 (lenny => squeeze))

Marc Haber mh+ejabberd-list at zugschlus.de
Sun May 1 21:14:28 MSD 2011

Hi,

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 10:13:02AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> I am currently trying to migrate my personal ejabberd from a host
> running Debian lenny to a different host running Debian squeeze. So I
> have to face the challenges of (a) changing the host name in the
> mnesia stuff and (b) doing the actual upgrade.

I have divided the problem into its two parts. The update from Debian
lenny to Debian squeeze was done with the old hostname and was done
fine. This left me with reaming the host.

I changed the hostname to the new value and proceeded to use the
"Change Computer Hostname" procedure from the Ejabberd Guide.

This failed already in step one:
cucaracha:/var/lib/ejabberd# ejabberdctl --node ejabber at nechayev start
Failed RPC connection to the node ejabber at nechayev: nodedown
cucaracha:/var/lib/ejabberd#

The procedure does not outline on which host one is supposed to do
this procedure. I guess that the procedure is to be done with the new
host name already in effect, otherwise the --node $OLDNODENAME
wouldn't make sense, would it?

What am I doing wrong?

Greetings
Marc