[ejabberd] ejabberd_service with multiple external components

Daniel Dormont dan at greywallsoftware.com
Wed May 4 17:48:10 MSD 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 5:38 AM, Badlop wrote:

> 2011/5/3 Daniel Dormont <dan at greywallsoftware.com>:
>> I see that ejabberd_service allows multiple component subdomains to share a port and secret key.
>
> Multiple subdomains: yes
> Multiple programs: no

OK, I see that.

> What I see in the ejabberd Guide is that each ejabberd_service allows
> *one* component connection:
>> ejabberd_service
>> Interacts with an external component (as defined in the Jabber Component Protocol (XEP-0114).
>
> And its option 'hosts' can be used to route to that component stanzas
> that are sent to several JIDs:
>> The external Jabber component that connects to this ejabberd_service can serve one or more hostnames.
>> Note that you cannot define in a single ejabberd_service components of different services: add an ejabberd_service for each service, as seen in an example below.

Ok, well, let me ask this: what does "service" mean in this context? I mean, I know, a "service" is a configured instance of ejabberd_service, but that definition seems circular. Specifically what does "components of different services" mean as opposed to "components of the same service?"

dan