[ejabberd] Problem restoring ejabberd on a new server

Eric Chamberlain eric at rf.com
Thu May 5 06:55:35 MSD 2011

Hello,

I am trying to move ejabberd to a new server and we are running into an error in the log.

To migrate to the new server, I did the following steps outlined in the documentation:

	1.  On the old server:
		a.  OLDFILE=/tmp/old.backup
		b. ejabberdctl backup $OLDFILE
		c. Copy $OLDFILE and the contents of /etc/ejabberd to the new server.
	2.  On the new server:
		a.  OLDNODE=ejabberd at domU-12-31-39-00-5C-08
		b.  NEWNODE=ejabberd at ip-10-46-63-56
		c.  OLDFILE=/tmp/old.backup
		d.  NEWFILE=/tmp/new.backup
		e.  rm -rf  /var/lib/ejabberd/spool
		f.  ejabberdctl start
		g.  ejabberdctl mnesia_change_nodename $OLDNODE $NEWNODE $OLDFILE $NEWFILE
		h.  ejabberdctl install_fallback $NEWFILE
		i.  ejabberdctl stop
		j.  ejabberdctl start

The following error then appears in the log:

=ERROR REPORT==== 2011-05-04 22:40:51 ===
E(<0.36.0>:gen_mod:73) : Problem starting the module mod_adhoc for host "rf.com" with options:
  []
  exit: {noproc,
            {gen_server,call,
                [ejabberd_iq_sup,
                 {start_child,["rf.com",mod_adhoc,process_local_iq]},
                 infinity]}}

=INFO REPORT==== 2011-05-04 22:40:51 ===
    application: ejabberd
    exited: {bad_return,
                {{ejabberd_app,start,[normal,[]]},
                 {'EXIT',
                     {noproc,
                         {gen_server,call,
                             [ejabberd_iq_sup,
                              {start_child,
                                  ["rf.com",mod_adhoc,process_local_iq]},
                              infinity]}}}}}
    type: temporary

If I comment out the mod_adhoc, then we get the same error with the next module in the list, mod_announce.

 If I leave ejabberd.cfg with the original configuration file, ejabberd will start, but without our configuration settings.

What am I doing wrong?  How do we migrate from one server to another?

--
Eric Chamberlain, Founder
RF.com - http://RF.com/