[ejabberd] MUC restoration option: cluster muc_online_users or similar?

Daniel Dormont dan at greywallsoftware.com
Tue May 10 00:01:02 MSD 2011

Hi folks,

I'm still working on my project to improve the way I handle recovery from
remote node crashes in a MUC environment. Right now, if a node hosting a MUC
crashes, another node can detect it and recreate the room. But the users
(who are logged into non-crashing nodes) won't know anything is wrong.
They'll simply stop receiving traffic from the MUC without realizing that
they are no longer an occupant of it.

Looking at the code, one option I thought of was to take muc_online_users,
perhaps modify it slightly and cluster it using Mnesia. Currently this table
seems to be only used for making counts of users; would there be any harm in
also using it to populate the #state.users data for a new room?

Dan