[ejabberd] Exmpp bot with gen_server connect_TCP problem

CGS cgsmcmlxxv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:43:26 MSK 2011

The main difference is that in proc_lib:spawn(...) the errors are not
handled (the thread just silently dies), while in gen_server the errors
are handled through handle_info and terminate. If you manage to handle
all the situations, gen_server doesn't crash, but exits in the worst
case. The echo example doesn't handle all the cases (for example, I
found some message loop back - the same message returned to the sender -
which usually crashes that example), so, the server just crashes because
it doesn't know how to handle the information (the most accurate words
would be it doesn't match the received information with any match
pattern). That's why the gen_server crashes reporting an error, while
spawned threads do not report the crash (nobody asks them to report).

Cheers,
CGS