[ejabberd] Clustering, relational db and erlang-external-language interfacing

David Chan chan_hok_ching at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 20:45:19 MSK 2011

Hi all,

It's my first time here, hello all!

I would like to ask two questions which are related to
clustering/performance of ejabberd:
1. I know that ejabberd can be clustered out-of-the-box, which means the
default Mnesia storage is used.
How about using like MySQL?
2. I'm not familiar with the Erlang language, but I would like to write
custom code/event hooks.
Are there any performance issues if I use the Erlang Interfacing to use
another language (e.g. Java), which is not as efficient as Erlang?

What I'm trying to do is to build a web app which will take advantage on
XMPP, but I would have some additional stuffs done on it (like adding
some social elements like Facebook/twitter), and at the same time would
like it to be able to handle some sort of heavy traffic, of which
ejabberd is strong at - however, since I have some custom stuffs to
develop I need to have a relational db for me to use, but at the same
time I don't want to be too involved in the clustering stuffs of
databases etc (coz I don't have the expertise).

Any help would be great, thanks!

Regards,
David