[ejabberd] Clustering, relational db and erlang-external-language interfacing

Daniel Dormont dan at greywallsoftware.com
Sun Nov 6 23:29:33 MSK 2011

1. Ejabberd allows MySQL to be used for what I'd call "persistent" data
elements: usernames and passwords, vcard, roster and offline messages.
There are a few other things, but all in that same category. Ejabberd
clustering still depends on Mnesia.

2. It depends what you want to do. Ejabberd supports external components
using the "ejabberd_service" option, and external components can be written
in whatever language you want, but you are limited to the XMPP protocol and
ejabberd's existing modules that provide hooks for such components, for
example mod_service_log. You can't simply write ejabberd hooks in Java.

There are general-purpose tools for integrating Erlang and Java. I
personally haven't used them, but I believe others on this list have.
Again, though, the issue you'll find is that ejabberd has no built-in hooks
for using such interfaces, so you'd still have to write one in Erlang.

dan