[ejabberd] Clustering, data (state) sharing, and hooks firing on the cluster / nodes

CGS cgsmcmlxxv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:07:42 MSK 2011

Hi, Hisham,

I suppose the hooks you are interested in are:

ejabberd_hooks:add(sm_register_connection_hook, Host, <hook module
name>, <hook function name>, 90)
ejabberd_hooks:add(sm_remove_connection_hook, Host, <hook module name>,
<hook function name>, 90)

Here is an example I wrote some time ago (people didn't want my module,
so, I didn't push further):

--- code snippet ---

-module(mod_filter_presence).
-author('CGSMCMLXXV <cgsmcmlxxv at gmail.com>').

-behavior(gen_mod).

-include("ejabberd.hrl").
-include("jlib.hrl").

-export([start/2,
          stop/1,
          user_presence/1,
          user_presence/2,
          user_presence/3,
          user_presence/4,
          send_message/1]).

start(Host, _Opts) ->
     ?INFO_MSG("mod_filter_presence starting", []),
     ejabberd_hooks:add(sm_register_connection_hook, Host, ?MODULE,
user_presence, 90),
     ejabberd_hooks:add(sm_remove_connection_hook, Host, ?MODULE,
user_presence, 90),
     ok.

stop(Host) ->
     ?INFO_MSG("mod_filter_presence stopping", []),
     ejabberd_hooks:delete(sm_register_connection_hook, Host, ?MODULE,
user_presence, 90),
     ejabberd_hooks:delete(sm_remove_connection_hook, Host, ?MODULE,
user_presence, 90),
     ok.

user_presence(JID) ->
     User = JID#jid.luser,
     Host = JID#jid.lserver,
     Resource = JID#jid.lresource,
     _Data = {},
     user_presence(User,Host,Resource,_Data).

user_presence(_, JID) ->
     User = JID#jid.luser,
     Host = JID#jid.lserver,
     Resource = JID#jid.lresource,
     _Data = {},
     user_presence(User,Host,Resource,_Data).

user_presence(_, JID, _Data) ->
     User = JID#jid.luser,
     Host = JID#jid.lserver,
     Resource = JID#jid.lresource,
     user_presence(User,Host,Resource,_Data).

user_presence(User, Server, Resource, _Packet) ->
    %% Do something with "User" from "Server" who tries to log in
    %% with XMPP-client "Resources" and if it's not enough, I may
    %% get lucky and have the full "Packet"
    %% Here should go your code defining FilterIt (filter it) as boolean:
    %% -> if FilterIt is true then don't allow connection
    %% -> if FilterIt is false then allow connection
    if (FilterIt == true) ->
    %% each user has a registered process which can be caught with
           SID = ejabberd_sm:get_session_pid(User, Server, Resource),
           SID ! system_shutdown; %% a trick to disconnect the user
        (FilterIt /= true) -> ok %% let the user log in
     end,
     none.

--- end of code snippet ---

I did that module to filter for a certain resource (XMPP-client software
ID like Pidgin, Psi, Vacuum-IM, Real-time Ignite Spark or whatever), but
I cut that part for you to use it as you think it's fit for your
project. You need just to set the value for FilterIt before enters
if-condition. I hope it will help. Good luck!

Cheers,
CGS