[ejabberd] sending all messages to multiple clients with the same account

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:59:36 MSD 2011

Hello,

I read recently the section of the XMPP protocols that describe this
behavior. I comment it now, several months after you asked, in case
anybody still wonders:

2011/8/31 Peter Binnig <peter.binnig at gmx.net>:
> Hi,
> I have a jabberd server up and running for some time now.
> A lot of my users have both a client on their PC/Notebook and on their
> smartphone.
> The interesting thing is now that the first message is always send to both
> the PC and the smartphone,

You will notice that the message stanza is sent to a bare JID, like
"receiver at example.org".
See: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6121#section-8.5.2

> but after one reply the next messages will only
> be send to the device the reply came from.

Because in that case the message stanza is sent to a full JID, like
"receiver at example.org/mobile"
In such case, see: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6121#section-8.5.3

> Is there any way to change this behavior, so that all messages will always
> be send to both devices?

If I was right in mu bet about your user cases, then the solution is
to send the message stanzas always to bare JIDs, not full JIDs.

---
Badlop
ProcessOne