[ejabberd] Run ejabberd under user

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 12 11:35:32 MSD 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 06:41:18AM +0000, Alexander Kuleshov wrote:

> I user ejabberd-2.1.6. I installed it with:
>
> ./configure
>
> make
>
> sudo make install
>
> Now i must run it with
>
> sudo ejabberdctl start
>
> How can i run ejabberd without root, under user?
Any reason not to use a package for your OS which supposedly already did
this right?

To do it manually, you have to fullfill two points:
1) The directory with the Mnesia tables and log files must be writable
   by the target dedicated user.
2) Use the regular su command to run ejabberdctl.  Note that it probably
   worth to also tighten umask before running ejabberd to something like
   027 so that the files ejabberd creates are not world-readable.