[ejabberd] ejabberd general questions

Ben Bradley ben at batfastad.com
Wed Oct 26 21:43:03 MSD 2011

On 19 October 2011 19:30, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/10/19 Ben Bradley <batfastad at gmail.com>:
> > 1) With our users authenticated by LDAP, I would also like to create a
> > "roster" of all users that is shared amongst all users. But I don't want
> > this roster to be based on any LDAP groups. We're a small organisation
> and
> > I'd prefer to manage this manually.
>
> See mod_shared_roster included in ejabberd, it does what probably you want.
>

> > 2) Is it possible to add other users as well as those authenticated by
> LDAP
> > so we run a sort of mixed mode. So some users with a matching jid
> pattern(s)
> > are passed to the LDAP server and others use an alternate auth mechanism
> > (mysql back-end)?
>
> It's possible to configure: "first try LDAP, if that refuses user,
> then try ODBC":
> {auth_method, [ldap, odbc]}.
>
> Another tricky solution would be to have two vhosts, like:
> {hosts, ["host1.example.org", "host2.example.org"]}.
> Then configure host1 to use LDAP auth, and only accept certain JIDs,
> and configure host2 to use ODBC auth, and only accept certain other JIDs.
>

> > 3) Create a web service to output the presence status of all users on the
> > system. I'd like to display the presence of XMPP users on our intranet
> (and
> > possibly store historic presence changes in a DB). What's the best way of
> > doing this? Some sort of global roster?
> > Or a fake user that receives additional presence notifications from all
> > other users and records this info?
>
> http://www.ejabberd.im/mod_webpresence has XML output.
> With some wget, cron and shell scripting you can do whatever you want.
>

> > 4) Log XMPP chat messages sent through the server to a database. This
> would
> > be useful to give the user an interface on our intranet to view/search
> their
> > chat logs so they don't have to rely on the XMPP client's logging. I had
> > look at bandersnatch but it looks like that project's no longer in
> > development. Are there any alternatives that are recommended for use with
> > the current version of ejabberd?
>
> There are several logging modules listed in
> http://www.ejabberd.im/contributions
>
> Jorge is a frontend to mod_logdb
> http://www.ejabberd.im/jorge
>
> As you can see, I enumerate but I don't valorate them because I didn't
> use them myself.

Thanks for reply! That's all great news. Got ejabberd setup and currently
checking this stuff out.

I was actually wanting to build my own front-end to the chat logging and
presence systems, so that it integrates with our intranet interface. So if
it can all end up in a MySQL database, then great!

One quick final question about mod_shared_roster_ldap. Is it possible to
configure it to just have a single shared roster, named by me, but populated
by the users returned by an LDAP filter?
I've been going through the docs and it seems to be more designed for shared
rosters based on groups defined in LDAP.

Cheers, B