[ejabberd] Setting up ejabberd MUC to supplement Google Talk

Bri Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Thu Sep 8 21:25:08 MSD 2011

Right around Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> gabbed:

> 2011/9/7 Bri Hatch <bri at ifokr.org>:
>> Anyone set up ejabberd to operate in this fashion before?   Have any ideas
>> or pointers to getting things working?
>
> You already configured and tried it, but you don't describe what
> exactly does not work.

Which was an oversight on my part.  Very lame.

> I suspect that config won't work, because it provokes a routing
> confussion in ejabberd: the XMPP server and the MUC service have the
> same JID!

Yes indeed.  Since I don't want a normal xmpp server, just the
MUC parts, I don't ponder how to properly 'neuter' out the
main server.  I did run with different hosts for the server and
the muc server at one point with no success.

I have found the first root problem: the host firewall (UFW)
was not allowing outbound xmpp-server traffic.  Solved this
quickly with

  $ sudo ufw allow out xmpp-server

I'm able to create rooms from jabber.org and the google apps
account, so I'll start testing and see what weirdness I encounter.

--
Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.