[ejabberd] Setting up ejabberd MUC to supplement Google Talk

Bri Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Fri Sep 9 20:27:44 MSD 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Daniel Dormont
<dan at greywallsoftware.com> argued:

> ejabberd's MUC service, from what I've seen, isn't built to run as a
> standalone MUC provider as an external component. And frankly, even if
> it were, to the best of my knowledge there's no concept of S2S
> directly connecting to an external component - there has to be a real
> XMPP host behind it. ejabberd uses the host portion of a JID to figure
> out what component to write a packet to, so that's why it won't work.

It's "working" for certain values of work currently.  I'm getting a
lot of 503 errors when speaking in the MUC w/ my Google Talk account.
That said, I'm also getting 503 errors when speaking in the MUC w/ my
jabber.org account.  Will spend some time looking through the logs
to see what it's seeing.

> Still, it's kind of a neat idea.

Anyone wanting to help out is welcome to join me. ;-)

> As is, you still have to figure out who you want to give the
> "access_create" permission to if you don't want the entire world
> creating MUCs on your service (ejabberd ACLs can inlcude JIDs not
> registered on one of the local hosts, right)?

Right now I have it wide open, but I'd like to have it restrict
access to just our domain users or, if possible, allow some sort
of wildcard rooms named 'external-*' could be created only by
domain users, but could be joined by any random xmpp user, for
the cases where we want to have something less private and ad-hoc.
That may be a bit more work, and is in the "nice to have" bucket.

--
Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

"You get a stud point for using the word 'phoneme'"