[ejabberd] Creating users and roster items via a web app

Vineet Naik naikvin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:20:52 MSK 2012

Hi CGS and Theo,

Thanks for replying. I think I will go with either the js client method or
the one I had mentioned ie directly inserting in ejabberd db.

In the meanwhile I also found this module for restful interface to
ejabberd. https://github.com/jadahl/mod_restful but it looks like it
doesn't support adding users to rosters of each other.

Regards,
Vineet

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Theo Cushion <theo at jivatechnology.com>wrote:

> Hi Vineet,
>
> We manage our ejabberd user list by using LDAP. We don't deal with
> rosters, but I believe there is an LDAP module for that as well. As far as
> I'm aware there is no caching issue with this.
>
> Theo
>
> On 24 Apr 2012, at 14:11, Vineet Naik wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on a web application in python (using django). Upon every
> new registration, I want to register 2 new users in ejabberd and add them
> to each other's roster.
> >
> > What is an elegant method to achieve this ?
> >
> > One way I am thinking of is using mysql based authentication and
> mod_roster_odbc. Then manually inserting into the database everytime a user
> signs up. Although I haven't tried this and not sure if the registered
> users will show immediately or not because of any caching that ejabberd
> might be doing for performance (this is just a guess!)
> >
> > Anyway I feel there must be a better alternative than this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vineet

Vineet Naik