[ejabberd] Give moderators ban privileges

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 31 13:41:34 MSK 2012

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 02:25:14 -0700
Marco Gallotta <marco at gallotta.co.za> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Is it possible to give ban privileges to moderators? From looking
> through the config and the code, it looks like I might have to modify
> the code to do this.

ejabberd implements multi-user chat as defined in XEP-0045 [1],
and from what I read in it, banning users is only a privilege of the
users having "admin" or "owner" affiliations with a given room [2].

Hence to me, it seems that if you were to patch the code you would be
violating the standard.  On the other hand, it might be perfectly OK for
you if, say, you're using ejabberd as a backend service for some
higher-level application exposing chat capabilities.

You could bring this issue on the "standards" or "MUC" xmpp.org mailing
lists [3].

1. http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html
2. http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#affil-priv
3. http://xmpp.org/participate/discuss-xmpp/