[ejabberd] connection rate in ejabberd.

-=Devil_InSide=- devil_inside at mail.ru
Sat Dec 15 18:30:33 MSK 2012

more details are here: http://www.ejabberd.im/node/8915#comment-59307

short situation:
we have ejabberd 2.1.11 + ldap auth + mod_shared_roster_ldap + ~2100
ldapusers in it.
working users now is ~350.
when we have network problem or restart of ejabberd server, etc, all clients
wants to connect at once.
ejabberd takes 28 clients quickly at short waves (10....8....6...4...2....)
and after works on clients with some delay.
we have client named "vacuum".
very useful and comfortable, but old version has hardcoded timeout 30 sec
for connection and 30 sec for recieving roster.
clients can't recieve full roster in 30 sec and brokes connection and make
new.
this produce unfinishable queue, which i have to process by hand for a few
hours.
in new version authors fixed this timeout, but we still have a question
about server's strangeness.
in documentation i see pssibility to rule connection speed and size of
sending packets. all these option has no effect.
in fact, small values makes situation more warried, setinng shaper and
stanzas off or to big values has no desired effect.
iptables is off.
i made a cluster (2 server for one node), it helpfull for situation, but
problem is persist as same, as in one server. two server makes it smaller.
config are pasted in forum (link above). if someone needs it by attachment,
i'll attach it.

question:
why we have such connection rate and where should i look at first?

has anyone any idea?