[ejabberd] ejabberd won't start - how to debug?

Andy Theuninck gohanman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 00:06:32 MSK 2012

I'm trying to migrate ejabberd to a new server (CentOS 6). I installed
ejabberd 2.1.8 from OS-provided binaries. I then copied
/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg and /etc/ejabberd/ejabberdctl.cfg from my
working server (also CentOS, also 2.1.8) to the new server. When I try
to start ejabberd via the init script, nothing happens.

Digging into the script, the command it's actually running for "start" is this:
ejabberdctl start --config /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg --ctl-config
/etc/ejabberd/ejabberdctl.cfg --logs /var/log/ejabberd/ --spool
/var/lib/ejabberd/spool

Running it myself, as root, produces no output, writes nothing to the
specified log directory, and does not start ejabberd. Is there any way
to coax more debug information out of ejabberdctl? I'm at a loss how
to find the problem without at least some kind of feedback.