[ejabberd] web-based registration + password recovery

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:38:43 MSK 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Hannibal Ndlovu <hannibaln at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am running Ejabberd 2.1.10 on Debian 5
>
> Am looking for a web-based registration system.
>
> As well am looking for a way to request additional information when a
> user is creating an account i.e. e-mail address instead of just
> username and password.
>
> Finally am looking for a password recovery system for my users, so
> that users that forget their passwords can have their passwords
> e-mailed to the e-mail address they entered during account
> registration.
>
> Kind regards
>
> MBR

I have implemented such a system on http://www.jabber.se (won't work
currently due to server migration in progress), and it should be
somewhat re-usable.

It makes use of two extra ejabberd modules that communicate with the
web server via RESTful APIs.

One module is mod_private_email which is used to store an E-mail
address associated with an account. The name comes from the fact that
the E-mail is never public and used only for password recovery.

The other module is mod_restful, which provides an API for registering
accounts with associated private E-mail addressed, changing this
E-mail address and password, and so on.

Then there is the web server, which uses the API and provides an
interface. Also a part of the web application is the code that does
the actual password recovery by generating a random UUID, sends an
E-mail to the user with a recovery link containing that UUID.
Following the link will take the user to a page which provides an
interface for setting a new password.

See https://github.com/jadahl/www.jabber.se for source code of the web
application, https://github.com/jadahl/mod_restful for the RESTful
API, and https://github.com/jadahl/mod_private_email for