[ejabberd] Auto-join conference

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 23 03:07:01 MSK 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:05:13PM +0100, Swen Lux wrote:

[...]
> As i'm saying, we're using ejabberd as company's jabber solution.
> We're having default groups for all departements with an all user
> roster sharing.
>
> What i want to try to open up an conference room for all company
> members. They have to join automatically at jabber login. Is it
> possible to include this in the roster sharing and that all members
> join an conference room automatically without joining it by themself
> for the first time?
An XMPP server has nothing to do with what you want to achieve.
And rosters has nothing to do with rooms: rosters contain contacts which
are (greatly simplified) JIDs of other people.
To keep lists of MUC rooms of interest, XMPP clients use
"bookmarks" [1], and for each bookmark, and "autojoin" flag can be
stored, which can be used by an XMPP client to see which rooms to join
after fetching the list of bookmarks.
Hence what you should probably do is to do some research about the
support of this feature in the XMPP client(s) you have deployed.

Some notes:
1) It worth repeating that room bookmarks have nothing to do with
   rosters--some XMPP clients do show rooms in the roster along
   with regular contacts, but this is purely a presentation trick,
   no matter how convenient to use.
2) Consequently, shared rosters also have nothing to do with bookmarks.
3) There's a third-party administration-oriented module for ejabberd
   called mod_admin_extra [2] which, when installed, adds the
   "private-set" command to the ejabberdctl tool which can be used
   to manipulate the list of bookmarks of any registered user.
4) If you're in a corporate environment, and you can enforce running
   a program after the user logs in, and your XMPP client software
   supports joining a room [4] using URI actions [3] or some other way
   of telling it to join, you could just use this to force joining
   a particular room without touching users' bookmarks.

1. http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0048.html
2. http://www.ejabberd.im/mod_admin_extra
3. http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0147.html
4. http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#registrar-querytypes