[ejabberd] Shared Roster / Groups with External Authentication: Possible?

Tom Lancaster tom at tnhvietnam.com
Thu Jan 5 17:08:36 MSK 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/3 Tom Lancaster <tom at tnhvietnam.com>:
>> I have been wracking my brain and reading everything I can to
>> establish whether I can accomplish the following using ejabberd:
>>
>> 1) Everyone in a shared roster (ie: all users of my website can see
>> each other through an xmpp client)
>
> See:
>
> http://www.ejabberd.im/shared-roster-all#example1

>From that page: "This feature requires internal authentication. If you
use external authentication, LDAP... then adding @all@ to a shared
roster group will do nothing."

Which is why I'm asking if there is any way at all to do shared roster
groups with external authentication. In your previous email you said
that @all@ would in fact work, in contradiction of the above linked
page. I've followed those instructions and I'm not getting any kind of
shared roster on iChat or Adium. This is sort of why I'm asking what I
should expect to see on the client end if it was working: is there
anything special I need to do to see the shared contacts from the
server? I'm not seeing anyone show up in my buddy list.

Thanks again for your time, and please excuse my confusion - I think I
may be incorrectly conflating "group" and "group chat" which is why
I'm asking if I need to make my client join a "group chat" in order to
see the shared contacts.