[ejabberd] Client? generating unknown traffic

Holger Mickler holger.mickler at tu-dresden.de
Mon Jan 23 15:28:54 MSK 2012

Hi,

I could just see this symptom from another client:

iChat v. 5.03, MacOSx v.10.6.8

The user told me there was a file transfer that should have taken place some
time ago but it failed. Maybe the traffic is related to that? Just a wild guess...

Regards,
  Holger

On 23.01.2012 10:42, Holger Mickler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a strange problem here.
> We have a single ejabberd server, v2.1.10, running on SLES11 SP1 x86, with
> erlang R13B04-3.1 and openssl 0.9.8j-0.26.1
>
> The users are authenticated against LDAP and we use mod_shared_roster_ldap with
> a single group (still in testing phase). This works very well so far! :-)
>

> Now I got a user with empathy-chat 3.2.2.1 on openSuSE 12.1 64-bit where the
> client generates ~60kB/s traffic some minutes after login. The data is encrypted
> so I cannot see in the TCP dump what it is talking about with the server.
> For a test the client disabled SSL, but we did not see this behavior (we did not
> look into it too long, but it did not happen in half an hour).
>
> I also tried setting the log level to debug in ejabberd but the server is
> overwhelmed by the amount of logging.
>
> Is it possible to enable debug logging for a single client (e.g. by IP address
> or login name)?
> Or is there another way to look into this issue?
>
> Thanks,
>   Holger Mickler

Dipl.-Inf. Holger Mickler

Technische Universität Dresden