[ejabberd] Users can join a password protected room + another question

Bzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Thu Jun 7 17:50:05 MSK 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 13:53:22 +0200
Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 June 2012 20:58, Bzzz <lazyvirus at gmx.com> wrote:
> > {access, muc_admin, [{allow, all}]}.  %% Anybody can create
> > (FUGITIVE) rooms {access, muc_admin_persistent, [{allow,
> > admin}]}. %% BUT ONLY admins can create PERSISTENT rooms
> > {access, muc_access, [{allow, all}]}.  %% All users are allowed
> > to use MUC service
>
> With that, muc_admin allows everybody.

I first missed what you explain below: that MUC admin is tied to
to the service, not to the owner's right to administer its own
room.

> Right, because access_admin allows, among other things, to bypass
> the room passwords verification.

This is what I finally discovered.

> Your configuration is incorrect for what you want to do.
> Probably this will be better:
>
> {access, muc_everyone [{allow, all}]}.
> {access, muc_admin, [{allow, admin}]}.
>
> and then (notice that I set in capital some conceptual
> corrections):
>
>         {access, muc_everyone},           %% Who's able to access
> rooms? {access_create, muc_everyone},     %% Who's able to create
> rooms? {access_persistent, muc_admin},  %% Only admins can SET
> ROOMS AS persistent
>         {access_admin, muc_admin},      %% Only admins can
> administer THE SERVICE

I did almost exactly what you say, except I created 4 VARs for
my own understanding: muc_access, muc_create, muc_persistent &
muc_admin - the first two are bound to [{allow, all}] and the last
two to [{allow, admin}]; unfortunately this is not working.
Users aren't able to create their own rooms!

This is what I do (and I did before) in Pidgin to try to create
a user room:
Main menu Buddies > Join a chat > [enter a new chat name] > hit the
Join button
but I get a popup w/ a "401: Not authorized".

In order to be sure it wasn't due to Pidgin retaining old setup, I
stopped all clients and restarted  ejabberd, then restarted the
clients.

> > My 2nd question is: where can I found a correspondance list
> > between pidgin room detailed options and ejabberd primitives, in
> > order to have the room details pre-filled as I want (thus people
> > won't have to edit details)?

I figured this one (thanks to the ejabberd embedded docs:)

--
Never argue with a woman when she's tired -- or rested.