[ejabberd] Forbid parts of web administration I/F

Bzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Fri Jun 8 22:48:08 MSK 2012

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 20:20:42 +0200
CGS <cgsmcmlxxv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if you can do that with this version of Ejabberd
> (basically, I don't suppose it will be practically at all for some
> other users, if not even annoying - not even OS's have such
> things),

Don't agree: you can design sudoers and strictly limit their rights
to only a few programs/daemons.

> but I suppose you can make a backup of the database and
> you can set a chron job to restore it periodically (if you don't
> want to get your hands dirty and to signal the change in the
> database and to trigger an external process which can revert the
> change or approve it).

I don't think I can do that as I'm the installer and I almost won't
touch back the server (unless there's a failure, of course) - so I
could reinstall a backup, but a starter one, so they'll lose all
users setup etc.
My problem is not all people also add a backup server (which would
be ideal and painless for me) as some already have their own backup
solution often not Linux compatible.

Tweaking the conffile is the ideal, if it is really impossible I can
edit the source and strip the aforementioned functions, but I don't
like that very much, essentially because if there's a security update
everything will be wiped out.

JY
--
Actual war is a very messy business.  Very, very messy business.
		-- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.0