[ejabberd] Forbid parts of web administration I/F

Bzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Fri Jun 8 23:13:58 MSK 2012

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 21:01:16 +0200
CGS <cgsmcmlxxv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but an admin remains admin with full access (root user in
> most of the Linux distros). You can work with groups and so on so
> forth (like for users in ACL, ...), but, in the end, you have two
> main groups of users: regular ones and root. So, whoever will have
> the admin password for your Ejabberd installation will be able to
> do whatever he/she wants.

Hehe, so let's do it like for sudoers: giving some admin rights to
some users (sneaky & taily & sneaky &... ];-)

> > I don't think I can do that as I'm the installer and I almost
> > won't touch back the server (unless there's a failure, of
> > course) - so I could reinstall a backup, but a starter one, so
> > they'll lose all users setup etc.
> >

> Not necessary. If you keep a back up of only what you are
> interested in, no data loss for the rest of the database. But for
> that, you need an automation.

On this particular aspect, my problem is double: I'm a beginner with
ejabberd and I don't know which parts of the DB should be overwriten
by such a script.  But you're right (I missed that point on our 1st
post), this is the right & easiest thing to do.

JY
--
Lao Tse say: experience only enlighten its owner.