[ejabberd] BOSH pre-binding state of the art

Theo Cushion theo at jivatechnology.com
Fri Mar 2 14:06:45 MSK 2012

On 2 Mar 2012, at 01:22, Daniel Dormont wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm wondering about the current state of BOSH pre-binding on the 2.1.x series. A quick glance around suggests that some modules have been written for this at some point in the past. Are these still supported? Which one is the best to use? What are the requirements? (for example, is it necessary to have a known password which the application can authenticate by?)
>
> thanks,
> Dan Dormont

There's https://github.com/theozaurus/mod_warm_bindings which I updated recently to be compatible with all 2.1.x versions of ejabberd.

- This requires an admins login credentials.
- The username and password for the user who's account you wish to warm

I've not found a way to achieve the warming without knowing the password, although it would be great feature to have! We get around this by auto generating the password, and never sending it to the user (we only allow logins via the web, from our app).

If you use Ubuntu Lucid, I've setup some debian packages which can get you going a bit faster: https://launchpad.net/~493pocbrcycmdw7yksonho-admin-d18ecat4t1b76tkfi3vttr/+archive/ejabberd

We use them here and haven't had any problems, but I'm not a package maintainer so use at your own risk.

Cheers

Theo